Security Finance Compliance Corporate Counsel in Spartanburg, South Carolina
Assists General Counsel and management on diverse corporate legal and regulatory matters as well as compliance with all applicable federal, state and local laws/regulations related to closed-end consumer credit, including traditional installment lending and direct/indirect automobile lending.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
• Continuously monitors and maintains comprehensive knowledge of consumer lending and other applicable laws/regulations for a multi-state and international consumer finance company with numerous locations and a digital platform.
• Assists General Counsel in managing programs designed to facilitate compliance with applicable federal, state and local laws/regulations related to secured and unsecured loan products as well as associated credit reporting, data protection/privacy and vendor management compliance obligations.
• Assists General Counsel in developing, maintaining and ensuring compliance with corporate policies and procedures and regularly reviews and monitors such policies to ensure consistency with current legal/regulatory requirements as well as company mission and values.
• Identifies potential areas of compliance vulnerability and risk and also assists in the development of remedial actions as necessary.
• Supports the development and delivery of compliance training programs and also assists in the preparation of compliance reports and performance assessments in identified areas.
• Drafts legal documents including loan contracts and related documentation, IT/software service agreements, non-disclosure agreements, and other commercial and related agreements.
• Assists in evaluating the business impacts of new legislation/regulation and the associated drafting of proposed legislation/regulation.
• Assists in responding to regulatory and licensing examinations as well as similar governmental inquiries and oversight activity.
• Assists in gathering information and preparing responses to customer complaints from state and federal agencies.
• Provides back-up support in the negotiation and drafting of leases and lease portfolio administration.
• Assists in reviewing and approving marketing materials and other external communications.
• Other matters assigned by General Counsel.
• Prompt and regular attendance is required.
• 4+ years of applicable experience in a law firm, in-house or government position; relevant in-house corporate counsel and compliance experience in a regulated or financial services environment preferred
• Experience with federal and state consumer finance and other laws/regulations impacting closed-end secured and unsecured credit, including but not limited to: TILA/Reg. Z, FCRA/Reg. V, FACTA, UDAAP, TCPA, TSR, GLBA, EFTA/Reg. E, payment card rules, SCRA, MLA, CFPB & FTC rules, ECOA/Reg. B, advertising laws, ESIGN, and UETA.
• Working knowledge of consumer credit reporting and compliance systems a plus
• Relevant compliance certifications a plus
• Ability to communicate with operations and management teams and to work with diverse constituents and groups
• Excellent writing and verbal communication skills; bilingual (Spanish) a plus
• Detail-oriented with strong work ethic and analytical and organizational skills
• Ability to balance business needs within the legal/regulatory environment
• Computer literate with strong Microsoft Office skills; Westlaw/LexisNexis
This is an office-based position that consistently operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer. Requires the ability to communicate verbally and in writing.
Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school
This position is subject to a background check for any convictions directly related to its duties and responsibilities. Only job-related convictions will be evaluated and will not automatically disqualify the candidate.
Requisition ID: 2020-6814
Street: 181 Security Place