SC Department of Public Safety Research Analyst - Program Manager I in Richland County, South Carolina
The Revenue and Fiscal Affairs Office (RFA) Economic Research team are seeking applicants for a Research Analyst with an economic, finance, statistics, or law background and a desire to continue learning and growing in a fast-paced agile environment. The incumbent will perform fiscal research and economic impact analysis of various legislative proposals affecting state and local revenue and expenditures. The incumbent may also participate in research projects and/or perform calculations required by statute. The incumbent works under general supervision of the Economic Research Section Manager and is expected to make decisions and work effectively while carrying out the agency's mission. The incumbent must have the ability to maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and customers and plan, organize, and prioritize multiple assignments. This is an opportunity to work with an agency with diverse backgrounds and talent. The RFA's mission is to provide independent research, analysis, and resources to facilitate informed policy decisions and administration of services.
RFA encourages employee professional development and training. Benefits offered for eligible employees include flexible schedules and telecommute options. For more information about the RFA visit our website at www.rfa.sc.gov
Job responsibilities include:
- The primary work product of this position is written fiscal impact statements
- Manages fiscal impact analysis for assigned agencies and programs
- Conducts complex interpretation and analysis of legislation impacting state and local expenditures and revenues to determine the fiscal impact using reliable data sources
- Designs written data requests to state agencies and other entities, conducts complex research, and communicates verbally and in writing with state agency and legislative staff in support of the fiscal analysis process
- Provides guidance to state agency and legislative staff on fiscal analyses of proposed legislation
- Prepares impact statements, letters, and white papers to convey analyses and conclusions in a clear and concise manner without bias
- May prepare and give presentations as subject matter expertise is developed over time
- Provides support and guidance to agency leadership related to assigned program area(s)
- Reviews and summarizes agency budget requests
- Provides expert, professional input on fiscal/budget matters to executive and legislative staff, state agencies, and other customers regarding assigned area(s)
- Performs ad hoc analysis for management and executive/legislative staff on a variety of issues affecting the state budget and/or revenues upon request
- Ensures that accurate data is used, recommendations are based on sound reasoning, and requested time lines are met
- Using SCEIS reporting and other available resources, compiles information, identifies analysis methodologies, and prepares, develops, and submits written and graphic reports
- Attends legislative and public meetings for assigned subject/program area(s)
Minimum and Additional Requirements
- A bachelor's degree in economics, finance, mathematics/statistics, science, or law from an accredited institution and 3 years progressive experience in economic or fiscal analysis. An advanced degree in economics, public administration, business administration, mathematics/statistics, science, or law from an accredited institution and 1 year progressive experience in economic or fiscal analysis is preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are required
- Occasional late night work during the legislative session or other peak times may be required
Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Word is required Preferred Qualifications
Ability to direct research, manage projects, and work independently.
- Ability to identify, research, and interpret fiscal implications of state and federal laws.
- Ability to design research plans, develop logical analysis methodologies, determine relevant and reliable data sources, and provide an organized, thorough, and unbiased analysis of fiscal issues in writing.
- Ability to review and analyze state agency programs and budgets.
- Employee is expected to have a comprehensive knowledge of economic principals, excellent research skills, and be adept at quantitative analysis.
- Employee must be able to maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and customers and plan, organize, and prioritize multiple assignments effectively. Additional Comments
Candidates must specifically meet the Agency Minimum Requirements or an equivalent combination of education and experience in accordance with State Human Resources Regulations to be considered for this position. If you certify on your application that you have an Associate’s Degree or higher, you will be required to provide a certified official college transcript upon job offer. Failure to produce an official college transcript may result in termination. Complete copies of college transcripts may be requested by the hiring manager at the time of the interview for positions requiring a college degree, and/or specific educational credits. If you are selected as a finalist, job references and a background check may be conducted. RFA is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employing agency. We are committed to a diverse workforce. SC RFA does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information.
*The screening process will require a virtual skills and knowledge test applicable to the position's job duties. *
Salary: $49,594.00 - $91,755.00 Annually
Location: Richland County, SC
Job Type: FTE - Full-Time
Job Number: 108698
Class Code: AH45
Position Number: 60015459/60015865
Normal Work Schedule: Monday - Friday (8:30 - 5:00)
Pay Band: Band 7
Hiring Range - Min.: $49,594.00
Hiring Range - Max.: $75,000.00
Opening Date: 01/12/2021
EEO Statement: Equal Opportunity Employer
Agency Specific Application Procedures: APPLICANT MUST APPLY ONLINE. VETERAN APPLICANTS: Per SC §1-1-550 Veterans Preference: To claim Veteran's Preference, all eligible persons shall submit a DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, along with the State Application for Employment to the appointing authority.
Agency: State of South Carolina Revenue and Fiscal Affairs Office
Address: 1000 Assembly Street, Suite 421 Columbia, South Carolina, 29201