Mars Packaging Operator in Columbia, South Carolina
Purpose of Role
· This role is a core position in the packaging area that requires the knowledge and skills to accurately and safely blend the finished kibble into high quality finished product in proper packaging mix and according to schedule.
· This role performs preventative maintenance, mechanically troubleshoots system equipment, and is responsible to train other packaging associates.
· The goal of this role is to provide our customers with the proper product, at the proper destination, in a timely and cost effective manner.
· Responsible for the total operation of any combination of the following unit operations. Operations include operating all systems components, performing all quality checks, maintaining conformance reports and systems logs, troubleshooting all aspects of each system, maintaining area in a clean, orderly manner.
o Big Bag Line operation- operate a big bag line from bunkers through stretchwrapper to schedule, do changeovers, troubleshoot lines, understand complete operation of the GUI for operating blending systems for packaging lines.
o Small Bag Line operation- operate a small bag line from bunkers through stretchwrappers to schedule, do changeovers, troubleshoot lines, understand complete operation of the GUI for operating blending systems for packaging lines.
o Regrind Shuttle- shuttle and dump regrind generated by packaging.
o Pkg. WIP Coordination- provides packaging materials to lines as needed. Stage materials for shift. Return unused materials to storage after run is complete. Perform all SPEDE, PRMS functions as required.
o Understand all families produced and identify each kibble for each family.
· Maintain a clean, safe work environment that promotes associate safety and product integrity.
· Improve operations through individual and group problem solving and provide leadership in solving problems on the floor and in meetings.
· Promote high quality team environment through effective team work and self management with a positive attitude.
· Perform preventative maintenance and downtime maintenance of area equipment and help make incremental improvements.
· Train other area associates as needed in all aspects of operations such as line operation, palletizers, MIS systems, WinSPC, PC's, and repair of equipment.
· Responsible for communicating and elevating any quality and food safety concerns to site management.
· Participate in setting strategy for the packaging system to ensure meeting or exceeding production schedule in the most efficient manner possible.
· Troubleshoot packaging system to optimize performance and take corrective action to ensure product quality while minimizing unnecessary downtime.
· Assist maintenance and engineering to improve and upgrade current systems and equipment and provide input on new projects.
· Assist Research and Development on new packaging systems and improving current ones.
· Rotate shifts with assigned team according to rotation schedule to cover scheduled production on 7 days per week and 24 hours per day schedule.
· Prepare and maintain SOP's and training modules.
· Participate in problem solving groups as appropriate.
· Train other area associates in operation of lines.
· Assist Warehouse/Shipping functions as needed and available.
· Participate in site safety program and actively look for ways to improve site and area safety.
· Associate is responsible for communicating and elevating any quality and food safety concerns to site management.
· Other similar duties as assigned.
Key Functional Skills/Knowledge
· Mechanical aptitude
· Housekeeping skills and knowledge of GMP's.
· Knowledge of personal computers.
· Problem-solving skills.
· Ability to lift 52 lbs.
· Ability to operate forklift in a safe manner.
· Ability to work 12 hour rotating shifts under fast paced conditions such as heat, cold, high and/ or confined spaces and possesses mobility with the ability to climb ladders and stairs.
· Hearing and speaking ability both in person and on the phone. Ability to recognize colors.
· Interpersonal skills to work in a team environment with a positive attitude and minimal supervision.
· Depth Perception.
· High school diploma or equivalent plus 2-3 years work or military experience (manufacturing environment preferred).
· Basic math, reading and writing skills.